Community Research Exchange
Community Research Exchange Program Key Contacts
- Conference Co-Chair Allison Karpyn, PhD, co-Director, Center for Research in Education and Social; Associate Professor, Human Development and Family Sciences University of Delaware
- Conference Co-Chair Omar Khan, MD, MHS, FAAP, President and CEO of Delaware Health Sciences Alliance, and Physician Leader in Research Admin and Scientific Affairs with ChristianaCare.
- Conference Co-Chair Marlene Saunders, DSW, MSWS, LMSW, social worker, educator, administrator, elected official, and Delaware Community Advisory Council Chairperson
- ACCEL Leadership
- Community Advisory Council (CAC)
Previous Community Research Exchange Conferences
2023 Conference “Nothing About Us Without Us: Including community voice in research across the translational spectrum” Materials and Presentations
- Keynote Presentation (PowerPoint), “Fast Forward! A Community Engagement Strategy from the Community Perspective” by Elder Paris Davis, MBA, PhD, PI, MPI, and Rebecca Johnson, PhD, MSc
- Keynote Presentation (PowerPoint) “Closing the Health Gap” by Renee Mahaffey Harris, CHES, MPH
- RECAP: CRE 2023
2022 Conference “Systematic approaches to Incorporating Community Engagement Across the Translational Spectrum” Materials and Presentations
- Welcome Remarks including “Why Community Engaged Research Matters” by Gwendoline Angalet, PhD, CEO of GBA Consulting; and, an address from Delaware Governor John Carney
- Keynote Presentation, “Building Full Spectrum Translational Research Teams of Laboratory Investigators, Practicing Clinicians, Patients and other Stakeholders” by Rhonda G. Kost, MD, and, Jonathan N. Tobin, PhD, FAHA, FACE, both of the Center for Clinical and Translational Science at The Rockefeller University
- Podium Presentations
- Panel Discussion on the “Benefits, Challenges and Realities of Community Engaged Research”
- Virtual Poster Gallery
- Afternoon Breakout Sessions
- Latinx Health – Explore the ways in which the Latino community is currently engaged in research in Delaware and hear from leadership of the CTR in Puerto Rico to share best practices, needs and strategies for engagement.
- Environmental Justice and Community Engagement – Focus on community engagement efforts to address environmental inequities. The presenters share strategies, examples, lessons learned, and effective approaches to addressing environmental issues of concern to community members, in partnership with researchers.
- Community Engagement Across the Translational Spectrum – Address the earlier forms of translational research, how, when and why community engagement matters, and provides exemplar strategies from two groups on the cutting edge of this work for discussion.
- Grant Writing – Walk through the basic ins and outs of grant writing and review a toolbox of resources that can help make the process simpler and less time consuming.
2021 Conference Materials and Presentations
- Annual community research exchange aims to ‘bridge the gap’ between health research, implementation
- Morning Podium Presentations
- CRE Keynote – Vaccine refusal in the time of COVID-19: opportunities for community engagement & research by Daniel Salmon, PhD, MPH
- CRE Keynote Powerpoint
- Panel Discussion
- Afternoon Podium Presentations